Saturday, June 11, 2011

Across the Atlantic they talk different

Announcement #1: I have done it! I have become black! Okay, so it is more lke red... from a sunburn.... but hopefully when the red fades my skin will be one shade closer to the beautiful brown of Ghanaians. :)
Now, their skin isn't the only thing I love about Ghanaians, I also love the way they say things. You know, each culture has its own diction, and I find it fascinating (linguistic anthropology is something I've thought about but I don't think I'll do). So this blog post is dedicated to...

GHANAIAN DICTION.... and the translations of course!
"TAKING food" = eating food.
example. "you have had fu-fu?"
"yes, we have"
"how do you take it?"
"we normally take it with groundnut soup"
"GOOD LUCK" = god bless you
example. "AH-CHOO!"
"good luck"
"the rain was HEAVY" = it rained very hard
example. "Madame, that storm last night was really bad no?"
"Yes, the rain was very heavy"
"WHY" comes at the end of the question
example. Scene: Deidre, Michelle and I dancing in the rain. Matilda walks in.
"You are dancing in the rain. Why?"

Some common words and their meanings:
twi english word= american word

trousers= long pants
pants= underwear
knickers= shorts
biscuits= crackers

..... in other words, think BRITISH english. In fact, they sometimes don't even understand what I'm saying simply because of my American accent (and they say things more with a British accent).

Example. "What are you studying?"
"Oh, I'm studying dance (daaance)"
"What?"
"Dance" (again spoken with the harsh, more nasaly 'a')
"Write it for me...... *I write it down*..... Oh! Dawhnce" (spoken with the soft sophisticated British 'a')

Some things you don't say because they don't translate:

"when I was FLYING here....." = I don't remember what it means but it doesn't mean flying.
"I have a BOYFRIEND....." = It's a bit more scandolous than the American term, if you catch my drift


Announcement #2: We are almost HALF WAY DONE! Why doesn't someone just rip my heart out! This is all going WAY too fast but oh well. My project has taken a turn for the political side of things (maybe I really should have just been a Political Science Major). As I was having a discussion/informal interview with Michael and his cousin Ernest:

Michael: Michael is 23, well, he says he is but his birthday is in October :) He is going to a college in Kumasi to become a teacher. He knew RACHEL (shoutout to my girl) from last year so I guess he heard about me or something becaues he came knocking on Madame's door. His favorite country is Sweden and he loves kung-fu movies.

Ernest: Michael's 19 yr old cousin who.... actually, I'm not sure what he does. I think he stays here in Wiamoase, since he only recently graduated from school. He's kind of quite, with a gap between his two front teeth but he loves talking politics it seems.

Anyhoo, I was talking with these two gentlemen about Ghanaian politics and it seems a very interesting topic-- with a lot of meat there to dig around (especially since elections for President are next year)

Ghanaian Politics: It is very similar to American politics in a lot of ways actually. They elect their President every four years; they have four poilitcal parties but two are the main ones (NPP and NDC) which are always butting heads; they have a woman entering the race this year-- the wife of former President JJ Rawlings (sound familiar?).... Pretty cool no?

So my project is taking a turn towards that arena, instead of the dancing arena but DO NO WORRY MY FRIENDS, I'll still be learning the dance and it seems to be a great bonding tool to use... when there is music, start dancing and people love it!

1 comment:

  1. I can definitely identify with your experiences about language and different accents. I thought I wouldn't have too much of a problem understanding people in London--they speak English too, right?--and that I'd pick up any jargon really quickly. What I forgot is how diverse London is when it comes to language and accents. Not only are there different British accents, but there are accents from all across the world, and they all use British jargon and/or their own native jargon as well. It's crazy to see an African woman dressed in a burqa and hijab speak in a Cockney accent and use Australian slag like "sweet as" or "al wrap." Between the multitude of different accents and different words, it's very hard to understand people sometimes, but I'm getting better. At least I don't have to worry about knowing a different language. Good luck with your field study and with understanding people, and let me know how it comes with understanding different words and phrases in Ghana.

    ReplyDelete