Monday, February 28, 2011

Learning Journal #18:

Okay, so I know I've skipped a couple of Learning Journals but don't worry... I've still be working on my project. I've been reading a lot on nationalism (trying to get a sense of the theories behind it). Currently, I'm reading: Imagined Communities by Benedict Anderson (I almost wrote Arnold... hehehe). It is a FABULOUS book thus far and this is what I've gathered... and then I'll tell you how it applies to my project!

1. In Western Europe, there is interesting timing in that the rise of nationalism comes right along side the fall of religion.

2. Nationalism is an eternal idea; one's nation has always existed and will always exist. (Completely independent of it's actual history of course)

3. Nationalism, or "nation-ness" as Anderson sometimes calls it, should be studied as a cultural system NOT as a political idea.

Okay, now how it applies to my project:

1. Ghana's idea of nationalism came out of colonialism, as did their conversion to Christianity. There might be a link between changing of religions and changing identities. This correlates with DANCE and its affects on ethnic identity not so much but it still fits under the whole "the rejection of ethnic practices for a more national (Western) approach to life".

2. Ghana hasn't always existed. Sure, there was Asante and Fante and Ga, etc all before the Colonial Period... but they weren't united like they are now. YET, Ghanaians will speak of Ghana as if it has always been the way that it is. This would have a TREMENDOUS affect on my project. If Ghanaians believe that their nation is eternal, they will be much more willing to conform to one idea- to one identity. For example, in this book, Anderson gives such an example: "Yes, it is quite accidental that I am born French; but after all, France is eternal" (12). It might be accidental that someone was born Ghanaian, but hey.... Ghana is eternal so it must be meant to be.

I hope you can see where I am going with this-- it's kind of hard to put into writing but basically, if one believes that their country is eternal (and that they are not).. that it is the country that shapes your identity, not the other way around.

3. This changes the way I must look at nationalism, and how I will study it. It truly is a cultural phenomenon (just look at the DANCE) and not some ideology that government is seeking to impose on the people. I'm grateful to be focusing on dance because it is one system in which nationalism can be incorporated into... hence why DANCE will be a great mode for observing nationalism (and why Anderson knew what he was talking about).


Well readers, I will continue to read out of this book... and many others to help me get a better idea of what nationalism truly is- and I think it will really help me know EXACTLY what to look for!

No comments:

Post a Comment