Thursday, February 17, 2011

words of wisdom

So just now, I was updating my other blog and decided to check out my sister's blog-- see if anything new was up (which nothing was...in case you were wondering). BUT that is not the point of this post. A quote she put up, by MAYA ANGELOU, caught my eye:

"I am a human being. Nothing human can be alien to me"

Isn't that beautiful? I think it describes perfectly my attitude about life (hence the anthropology major) but at the same time, it should describe perfectly my attitude about going to Ghana. I will be traveling 5,000 miles to a place I have only seen pictures of.... to a place with limited electricity.... to a place where happiness is most assuredly not bought...... to a place that I can only hope to fit into.......

Maya gave me the assurance that I will fit in-- not because I have the same color skin, or because I eat the same food they do-- but rather, because I am a human being, just like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment