Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Learning Journal #13

GAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!! If someone had told me that it would be this HARD to find a mentor, I would've opted out. For example, the one anthropology professor that would've been perfect no longer teaches here.....tthe one dance professor who has done a lot of research on African dance teaches at UVU. Needless to say, I'm struggling to find someone who has some experience /knowledge in ONE aspect of my project.

:(

Anyways, besides that, the one thing I have to comment on is TWI. So, making the flashcards really, really helped! I've been able to practice on my walks to and from school, so now I have most of the market terms down, and the body parts. (all really useful no?) But as I've been talking with Doug, Michelle and Deidre, we all kind of feel that the cultural things are learning in the Twi class are the most useful! Having the opportunity to actually be around Ghanaians, picking up their sense of humor, their sweet spirits, is what has really been valuable.

I've been trying to think of more ways to learn the language for example... listening to Tom and Jerry in Twi on youtube. I have no idea what they are saying but ya know what? It's helping me getting used to the way it sounds. (Hopefully soon it'll stop sounding like gibberish!)

No comments:

Post a Comment