Monday, January 31, 2011

LEARNING JOURNAL #9

On Friday, Andrew had us do an activity that I really enjoyed. We had to make a web chart for our project question. It really helped me see all the aspects of my question and what would be the best way to approach it.

For example, when I made the clouds (which represented the units of analysis... which age groups I'm going to focus on), it made it more clear exactly why I wanted to focus on the oldest and younger generations. It is through the oldest generations that I'll be able to gather history, it is they who have witnessed most of the changing over time. But with the younger generation, I'll be able to understand where dance is now, thus being able to see the result of this change. I also added a question that I could ask the parentals if need be: "Do you feel the need to teach your children traditional dances? What would be the value?" I was so glad to see this connection because it really helped clear up the direction I wanted to take in the interviews, what kind of information I would be looking for.

The second thing I realized happened while I was talking with Deidre and she asked me how I knew that there were changes; and several other questions along those lines. As I was explaining to her all the things to look for like education, dance moves, etc... I realized that I don't really have much of a need to study the OVERALL CHANGING of dance in rural Ghana. That has been done, and it is obvious that it has happened. What I need to do is pick on possible reason as to why, and focus on that. While talking with Deidre, I decided to focus on this shift after colonialism from ethnic pride to national pride. I want to focus on how that specific movement in Ghanaian arts shifted the focus of dance from one of spirituality to history.

This new focus will give my project more clarity and really falls in line with a lot of the sources I have already research (which is an added bonus!)

oh ps! Michelle, Deidre and I were able to go over to my friend Akramah's home for dinner on Saturday. What a wonderful experience!! It was so nice because we were able to talk about current Ghana issues and how their culture is now. He also gave us some really practical advice like "be careful how your face reacts when they hand you some water... if you make a questioning face, they might get offended". And plus, I learned something EXTREMELY valuable: I LOVE RED-RED!!!!!!!!!!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment