Monday, March 21, 2011

Learning Journal #22

EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT: CORRINE CHANGES HER PROJECT!! EXTRA! EXTRA!

After talking with Margaret (who I'm sure talked with Ashley about my proposal), it was suggested that I choose either nationalism OR dance. I chose DANCE!!!!! So my new focus will just be on how dance is a form of expression. I will be studying the culture in Wiamoase, and through participant observation and interviews, I will be able to explore their world of dance and see what it is that they love about it.

The background for my project is pretty clear: Dance is used to express the inner workings of one's soul. I've gotten some really good information out of my textbook for Dance 260 entitledHistory of the Dance in Art and Education. The book opens with this quote:

"Dance is a nearly universal behavior with a history probably as old as humanity itself... Dance is embedded in our being.... The dynamics of dance, culture and society are inseparable" (11)"

All I know is that dance is truly embedded in my being and I know that it is in Ghanaian's blood too. I wanted to show you some pictures to illustrate the different emotions or ideas that can be expressed through dance:


1. The first picture represents EMOTION: We had a modern dance song during my apartment's "10 minutes of dancing in honor of 10/10/10". You can tell by the way we are positioned, even the looks on our faces that we had a particular emotion in mind (some good, some bad).


2. The second picture represents HISTORY: This is one of my companions from my mission. Dancing with her allowed us to revisit our friendship, and all the good times we had on the mission. Sometimes dance can be used to revisit the past, and reembody those same feelings.



3. The last picture represents COMMUNICATION: This was one of the first outings with my roommates and it was a blast! We were able to communicate with each other-- our happiness that we were roommates, our enjoyment with each others company-- simply through our dancing together. It was incredible!




So see.... dance is used to express so many things and I'm really excited to go to Ghana and ask the people of Wiamoase what they express when dancing!




No comments:

Post a Comment